Tuesday, February 10, 2015

budapest


After a train and a bus and a train from Zagreb (they didn’t tell us why we had to transfer..) we made it to Budapest!  It’s a beautiful city and I would love to go back again something.  2 highlights were the thermal baths.  On Saturday night after a full day of exploring the city, we went to Szechenyi Baths. This is apparently one of the largest and most popular baths – the area surrounding the baths looks like a palace!  The main baths were located outside – one was warm with multiple rings inside (one had a whirlpool)!  After awhile in the pool we found out that the other one hot rather than warm so we ran out in the 30* weather and hopped right in.  That one was much more pleasant in the cold weather!  We explored inside a bit and got in a few more baths and saunas.  One sauna WA far too hot and I felt my eyes burning so I left quickly..




On Sunday, Amber and I went to the Kiraly baths.  This was very different and gave us much more of a local feeling experience.  It was a very old Turkish bath with mainly older men and women.  The baths were all inside and the room was extremely steamy.  There was interesting architecture with lots of holes in the ceiling.  After the bath we went to take showers and dry our hair with very low powered hair dryers.  I set my wet bathing suit down on a table for ten or so minutes and by the time I returned it had disappeared!  Moral of the story, never lose sight of a wet bathing suit in Budapest!  (as unfortunate as this was, I feel bad for whoever had to carry around an extra sopping wet bathing suit with them)



2 comments:

  1. Well, now you can be very fashionable and buy a new bathing suit in Paris...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Budapest looks beautiful! Sorry as out your bathing suit 😕 I got your text but couldn't respond to it.

    ReplyDelete